Welcome

The purpose of this blog is to serve as a public accountability for a personal project. I seek to uncover and more deeply understand the struggle and sacrifice of my aunt, Nordia Esther González Hidalgo, during the Nicaraguan Revolution. I will be sharing my readings, research and reflections. This is my story of how I found hers.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Almost-belated Birthday

So I have the practice of calling home to my parents to say good night every single night. Yes, every night. Rarely a day goes by without my evening check-in. Today my mother told me not to worry too much about missing these Nicaraguan fairs and festivals. It's just an excuse to make money. Companies exploiting cultural loneliness to make a profit, a ploy like Cinco de Mayo. She's only had negative experiences with Los Angeles Nicaraguan restaurants. They are not authentic or provide poor quality food. If I want a good Nica meal, I can just eat her food. I'm even learning to cook it on my own too. If I want to hear the music or witness the culture I can just watch the crazy antics of my uncles. She warned of romanticizing things the way people do with poverty.  My mother did admit though, it would have been nice to hear Carlos Mejia Godoy perform while he's still around. Hopefully that opportunity will come again. I should not get distracted by the local street parties and try to focus on my aunt's story. I was caught off guard when my mom mentioned that today was Nordia's birthday. In fact, she would have turned 53 had she lived.  Really? Today? How do I not know this? Why am I not keeping track? I'm devoting an entire blog to learning about her and I don't even observe her birthday! I was really disappointed in myself. I should have known. These three dates I must always strive to remember: June 13, the day she died, July 19, the day the war ended and August 8, her birthday. She died just before Somoza was overthrown and the revolution ended right before her birthday. Three months marked in memory. So now, at the 11th hour I take a moment to remember my aunt. I pause to acknowledge and give thanks for her tragically brief life, to recall what she did for her people, her country and the lasting impact she left on her family. Feliz cumple, Nordia. Hope you're enjoying some yummy birthday rosquillas in heaven. Rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    I never expected our conversation to turn into a blog entry.

    ReplyDelete