Welcome

The purpose of this blog is to serve as a public accountability for a personal project. I seek to uncover and more deeply understand the struggle and sacrifice of my aunt, Nordia Esther González Hidalgo, during the Nicaraguan Revolution. I will be sharing my readings, research and reflections. This is my story of how I found hers.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

In a Decade

It's been exactly a decade since I stepped foot in Columbus, Georgia to visit Fort Benning and attend the Ignatian Family Teach-In and SOA Watch Vigil over the course of three days.  Friday, November 21, 2003 marked the beginning of this profound experience.  I traveled with about a group of 30 from Loyola Marymount University.  We learned together, we prayed together, we walked together.  This trip was the culmination of a lot of preparation, formation and reflection.  We learned about the Jesuit martyrs at UCA and the story of Oscar Romero in El Salvador.  We studied the history of US involvement with Latin America.  This was the first time I questioned my aunt's death as more than a casualty of war.  This was the beginning of my questioning.  Traveling to Georgia and honoring my Tía Nordia at the vigil was my first real relationship with her.  I will always tie this experience as part of my unraveling of her story.  Ten years later, I must continue to question.  I must always take time to remember her sacrifice.

In honor of the ten-year anniversary, I'd like to share these videos of our journey courtesy of Paul Pryor Lorentz.





and the third video which won't imbed:

No comments:

Post a Comment