Welcome

The purpose of this blog is to serve as a public accountability for a personal project. I seek to uncover and more deeply understand the struggle and sacrifice of my aunt, Nordia Esther González Hidalgo, during the Nicaraguan Revolution. I will be sharing my readings, research and reflections. This is my story of how I found hers.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Woman on a Mission

When I was a student at LMU I learned about the film, The Mission, directed by Roland Joffe.  Recently, I heard the music of "Gabriel's Oboe" and it reminded me of the movie. I found it online, ordered it and watched it again.  There is a special feature documentary about working with the indigenous people during filming.  At one point they talk to a local Jesuit who was facing his own modern day challenges.  He referenced being in Central America and in particular Nicaragua. I sat upright at the sound of the name.  I knew this movie was similar in nature to the story I am searching for but I didn't expect such a direct link.  It was an in-your-face reminder of what my mission is. I'm glad I'm finding these little things around me to keep me on course.  It is definitely an affirmation and I embrace it.

1 comment: