Welcome

The purpose of this blog is to serve as a public accountability for a personal project. I seek to uncover and more deeply understand the struggle and sacrifice of my aunt, Nordia Esther González Hidalgo, during the Nicaraguan Revolution. I will be sharing my readings, research and reflections. This is my story of how I found hers.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In Continuation

Today, June 13, 2012 marks the 33rd anniversary of the murder of my aunt, Nordia Esther González Hidalgo, by the US-trained National Guard of Nicaragua during the Sandinista Revolution. 35 teenagers were shot to death from helicopters and then buried dead or alive in the trenches with bulldozers. They died for liberty as the stood up against injustice and oppression.


Since I was little, I always knew that I had an aunt who died at war but I never fully understood her story.  I still don't.  I've made progress over the years but only to realize that I do not fully grasp the greater elements of the politics, faith, sacrifice and motivation.  I want to know the historical and the human side of things.  The curiosity developed while I was a student at Loyola Marymount University attending the annual SOA protest at Fort Benning, Georgia.  Since then my sister, Jessica, has done her own research and travels that inspired me to pursue more.  I have done some investigation but now wish to launch a concrete project to learn the most that I can on this subject.

I want to learn my Tía Nordia's story, so I can better tell it.  I want to honor her memory.  I'm not sure if this will culminate in a screenplay, novel or just an amazing personal journey.  Right now I'm going to enjoy the ride and see where it takes me.  I'm not sure how often I'll post updates but I figured the 33rd anniversary of her death would an appropriate day to launch this blog.  I've decided to do this publicly to put pressure and accountability on myself to stick with it as well as to build greater awareness to the issues at play.  I've already begun this journey, but I now I invite you to continue along with me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Erika for this beautiful tribute to my sister.
    I have been learning with you and Jessica.
    Let's keep her alive in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete